grouper or any marine fish 400 g
red chilli 5
finely sliced garlic 1 tbsn
finely chopped coriander root 1 tbsn
finely chopped galangal ½ tbsn
finely sliced shallot 2 tbsn
sugar ¼ c
fish sauce 2 tbsn
vinegar 2 tbsn
tamarind juice 3 tbsn
cooking oil ¼ c
1. In case whole fish is used, scale, gut and rinse clean thoroughly. Score in strips on both sides. If fish steak is used, wash thoroughly. And drain well.
2. Put wok over medium heat. Pour in cooking oil just enough to cover fish. When oil is very hot, add fish and fry until golden brown and crispy on both side. Remove from heat and drain well.
3. Pound read large bird’s-eye chilli, garlic, coriander root, galangal and shallot together until smooth.
4. Heat oil in wok using high heat. Add chilli paste in ( 3 ). Fry until fragrant. Add sugar, fish sauce, vinegar and tamarind juice to taste and stir fry.
5. Pour mixture in ( 4 ) over fish. Serve garnished with coriander.