Adapted from Sweet Potato Chicken Curry from Cooking
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 bay leaf
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 1/2 tsp minced peeled fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (14 oz) can vegetable or chicken broth
1 (14.5) oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup (1/2 inch) cubed peeled sweet potato
1 cup (1/2 inch) cubed peeled white potato
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup frozen green peas
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1. Combine curry, coriander, turmeric, salt, black pepper, cayenne and bay leaf in a small bowl.
2. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute 10 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in ginger and garlic, cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add curry powder to mixture, cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
3. Stir in poatoes and chickpeas. Cook, uncovered, 30 minutes.
4. Add peas; cook 5 minutes or untl heated through.
5. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice. Discard bay leaf.
6. Serve over basmati rice if you know what's good for you."